Monday, June 11, 2012

--24 of 52--

O love the LORD, all ye His saints: for the LORD preserveth the faithful, and plentifully rewardeth the proud doer. Be of good courage, and He shall strengthen your heart, all ye that hope in the LORD.
Psalm 31:23-24

 

A few questions for this week:
    1) Why did you memorize this verse?
    2) What is one phrase that really sticks out to you?
    3) What are some lessons that you have learned from this verse this week?

My answers:
1) Why did you memorize this verse?
One day while doing my devotions, Psalm 31:23 popped out to me and challenged me. Instead of simply jotting it down in my Scripture journal, I decided to memorize it.

2) What is one phrase that really sticks out to you?
The last phrase of the first verse really struck me: "the Lord . . . plentifully rewardeth the proud doer." Recently, James 1:22 has been a verse that has resounded through my mind, "But be ye doers of the Word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves." In reading Psalm 31:23, I realized that there are two sides of the doing - we can be a proud doer, or a humble doer.

3) What are some lessons that you have learned from this verse this week?
I admit that I got a little discouraged after pondering this verse. Then, I continued reading, "Be of good courage, and He shall strengthen your heart." What an encouragement!!! In my own strength, I cannot be faithful, I cannot be a humble doer - but, through Christ, I can do all things!!


We would love to hear your answers to these questions!

3 comments:

~katie~ said...

I'm working on 1 John 5:14 this week.

1. It's the next verse in 1 John Chapter 5 that I've been working on. I'm so glad I selected this chapter. It's so crystal clear and such a reassurance and blessing to me in my personal witnessing, reassurance, and in my prayer life.

2. The phrase in this verse that stuck out to me was "according to his will". Not only do I need to pray without ceasing, but I need the help of the Holy Spirit to make requests that are pleasing to our Heavenly Father and in accordance with His will. One of my favorite hymns that goes along with this topic is "Not My Will, But Thine Lord." =)

3. As I stated in #2, I need to really spend more time in prayer and also, especially, seeking after those things that the Lord wants for me. I'm asking the Lord to direct my prayer life and my practical life that my steps might be ordered by Him and Him alone.

Loving this challenge! Blessings to you!
Katie

Unknown said...

I am working on Psalm 42:11: "Why art thou cast down , O my soul? and why art thou disquieted within me? hope thou in God: for I shall yet praise him, who is the health of my countenance, and my God."

1) Why did you memorize this verse? The Lord showed me it in my personal Bible reading a few days ago when I was having a hard time accepting things that were going on.
2) What is one phrase that really sticks out to you? "Hope thou in God."
3) What are some lessons that you have learned from this verse this week? The Lord is always with us, and we can always hope in Him, no matter what is going on!

Amanda Tero said...

This week, my verse was Psalm 4:6, "There be many that say, who will shew us any good? Lord, lift Thou up the light of Thy countenance upon us."

To answer the questions:
1) I memorized this verse because I am working through memorizing Psalm 4. :)

2) One phrase: "Who will shew us any good?"

3) As I quoted it, I realized that the answer is true: it is the Lord Who gives us all good things!!!

Posted about it here: http://withajoyfulnoise.blogspot.com/2012/06/verse-24-of-52.html

~Amanda
www.withajoyfulnoise.blogspot.com