Monday, July 16, 2012

--29 of 52--

 
 

Having a good conscience; that, whereas they speak evil of you, as of evildoers, they may be ashamed that falsely accuse your good conversation in Christ. 1 Peter 3:16

This week: Look up at least three words in your verse. Does it help you to understand your verse better?

My answer:
   Conscience – co-perception, moral consciousness
   Speak evil – be a traducer, slander
   Evil-doers – a bad-doer, criminal
   Ashamed – to shame down, disgrace, or put to blush
   Conversation – behavior
(all definitions from Strong’s concordance)

This verse gives an idea of how we should live our lives. As I reread it, I was reminded of a similar command for young women in 1 Timothy 5:14, “I will therefore that the younger women marry, bear children, guide the house, give none occasion to the adversary to speak reproachfully.” If we live our lives uprightly, then the enemy will be unable to successfully find a target for his darts.

~~~
What have you been memorizing this summer?

What has the Lord been teaching you through your verses?







3 comments:

~katie~ said...

I like how you encouraged us to look up three words from our verses this week ~ going to try to do that soon!

I'm finishing up the chapter of 1 John 5 this week. What really jumped out at me is all the verses that state that we may "KNOW"....what undeniable truth we hold in our hands! The Lord drove home the confidence that we can have in Him and in His Word through this chapter. What a comfort!

Blessings to you as you continue to memorize and help us do the same!
Katie

Unknown said...

Well, I decided to memorize all of Romans 12, and I have already memorized verse one and two, so now I am memorizing verse three. Romans 12:3 says: "For I say, through the grace given unto me, to every man that is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think; but to think soberly, according as God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith."
Three words I looked up were:
grace-kindness; favor.
soberly-in a grave and sober manner.
faith-Complete trust or confidence in someone or something.
I am slowly learning humility, so this verse was definitively for me. :)

Anonymous said...

I was so surprised when I actually made it to verse twenty- and now I'm at almost 30! :) I am so blessed that you guys have started up this challenge- it has really helped me in memorizing verses that encourage me and help me not give into temptation. I've been using a KJV to memorize most of my verses- it's so amazing how different it is from other versions!

I've been memorizing random verses throughout this challenge, like Psalm 37:5, 1 Corinthians 10:13 and Ephesians 2:8, and now I'm working on memorizing Psalm 51. It is such an AWESOME Psalm!
I'm sorry I haven't been blogging about my verses very much! I just wanted to let you know that I am still memorizing them! Thank you so much for choosing to create this challenge!

God bless you!
Tirzah

P.S. Thank you so much for the blog posts that you write on Rubies Like Ruth. I have them sent to my email and they encourage me a lot! <3 <3